PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure
Thread: Engine Failure
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2010, 13:56
VMC-on-top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guppy, so you are saying that single engine IMC is dangerous and shouldn't be done at all - ever?

I have an IMC rating and don't make a habit of flying in hard IMC but have flown on top many times since getting the rating. My criteria for flying on top (or in IMC) are

1. Don't fly on top where the MSA is in the clouds and
2. Don't try to climb on top where the freezing level is well below the tops.

Are you therefore saying that anyone with an IMCR or an IR who flies SEP should just not venture out at all unless its clear VMC for the whole route? No-one would fly if that were the case, would they? Surely, there's an argument which says that in actual fact, flying MEP in IMC is (potentially) more dangerous for the simple facts that there is the temptation by many MEP owners to fly closer to the limits of maintenance etc. and if they are in hard IMC and have an engine failure, there is a greater chance of loss of control?

I'm not talking about those pilots / owners who fly 1000+ hrs a year but the "average" GA, say 50-100hrs p.a.?

I only have 150 hours total so I'm not in a position to preach to anyone, I'm just more than a little surprised I suppose, at the suggestion that "anyone" flying SEP in IMC (or on top) is asking for trouble - period?