PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 20th Aug 2010, 09:54
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAs cabin crew are some of the best in the world and are the front end of the brand.I don't agree with the way the BASSA leadership have handled this dispute, but don't automatically think good service comes with low pay.
They are indeed some of the best in the World. Unfortunately, amongst them are some of the worst in the World; we've all seen them, be it on an aeroplane or at SEP. The trouble is, there seems to be no differentiation between them; you can be the lousiest CSD in the World, and still collect your 60 grand a year.

For the record, I don't begrudge the 60 grand......if they do their job properly. A poorly performing pilot is soon spotted, be it by a colleague's report, his six monthly sim check, his route check, or a conversion course. The same does not seem to happen with CC, and that is where the problem lies, IMHO.

This thread is not about pilot pay, but, Stormin, I think you would struggle to find a BA pilot paid 5 times more than his counterpart in another airline. Yes, we are well looked after, and so i think we should be. If we weren't, it would only be worse for everyone else. To some extent BA must, through it's sheer size, set the benchmark (not for standards, before anyone accuses me of being an arrogant Nigel!!). There is no way other airlines in the UK do not keep a close eye on what BA are up to, and BA does have an affect on the market for all employees.