PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where next for CRM?
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2010, 06:13
Algol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ex CRM facilitator at a legacy carrier. Now retired.

I do believe CRM training was necessary to introduce a change to that mindset which made many cockpits very nasty places to work in the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

However, while my carrier gave lots of lip service to CRM - in 2001 they decided to abolish the CRM Dept and 'integrated' the training into the regular type training dept (who didn't appreciate the extra workload).

Then, two years ago, Management used a bout of industrial strife to force a 'cost saving' on crews by cutting out the annual Ground School Day, and instead put all training on-line. Foolishly, the Training Dept have been jacking up the content level continuously since then, creating further resentment at the added workload on busy crews (at zero cost to the company).

So recurrent training went from being a useful forum which allowed the face to face exchange of valuable information related to actual line events - to a wearisome and solitary pass/fail computer based imposition termed 'training'.
One of the most retrograde events I ever saw in my career. It truly discredits the whole safety system. Why do the authorities allow it?
Money of course.....