PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - turkish airlines assessment
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2010, 02:21
theflyinggreek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello wetbehindear...

Yes in a way we can understand their culture. the only difference between Turks and Greeks is the language and religion. Everything else is very similar.

How do I evaluate a captain?... When I said the word Captain, I meant candidates that are currently serving and hold the ranks and responsibility of Captains in their current positions wherever they are employed. As such, we (meaning candidates), are used to more efficient ways of recruiting and selection.

I have been a captain stuck in a metal tube delayed at the end of the runway only having to shut down and sit there waiting for some ATC delay for almost two hours.. then only having to turn back to the gate.. So patience is a virtue.. besides what good does it do to get angry or upset? It's poor leadership for your crew and passengers... That's how I would evaluate someone being a good captain... Since you asked...

The process at Turkish is very slow and inefficient but thats their way and if you want the job you have to suck it up and just do it... None the less some people won't put up with it and thats just the way it is..

Yes I agree it can be negative experience and I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling in the sim... but I also understand that they want to be 100 % sure that they can get along with you as a person, and that you don't have an"Attitude" that will cause problems in their circle (whatever that may be). They have a lot of young inexperienced pilots, and they need Captains that can provide good leadership and act as mentors.. Its just how you do it wouldn't you agree? If not.. thats ok too.. we all have our own opinions

Cheers,