PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2002, 01:14
JohnBarrySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PP>So they are looking where there are lots of pieces, but not looking where the significant pieces may be.

So true. I believe this is the reason why the midspan latches are never found on all four of the Boeing 747 hull rupture events and now on the China Airlines Flight 611. They may be the first to go, are small, and are way way back in the trail of debris. Plus nobody wants to find them as the implications are very unwanted.

Note that if the doubler repair, which is centered because that’s where the tail skid is located, failed, then logically one would assume the damage would be centered and have lesser damage outward bilaterally. But no, the damage is on the right and left with the right side where the aft cargo door is located and if that ruptured it would be like cutting a can open with big damage on the left also. That evidence is present.

The pieces of the cargo door were found far apart and that means inflight separation and disintegration of the door. A rupture of the door inflight has many implications and is evident by the photo of the top part yet that significance is not even referred to in the leaked press reports.

The exaggerations of the size of things is to play down the shattered door and play up the repair doubler. The aft cargo door may have ruptured and caused the cracks around the doubler and vice versa. It does not state the status of the doubler, is it intact? It does state cracks around it but that does not mean it failed. And what about the status of the large port side combi cargo door?

I believe the spin is on to make China Airliners, the repair people, the scapegoat. It would be a one time event on a one time airplane by an already discredited airline and everything can go back to normal and certainly not faulty wiring exploiting an industry wide problem with non plug doors and not enough latches with no locking sectors in a very big door.

As a pilot I feel a great displeasure at being lied to about aviation safety matters (But not by the Chinese). The conflicting information about the aft cargo door is very very suspicious. The top of the door is real and there is the photograph, yet one respected aviation journal denies it exists and reports about the bottom part which is nowhere to be seen...but it’s locked.

It appears to me that they want the readers to believe that the bottom was found and locked so that makes the ruptured cargo cargo door theory go away when the bottom latches can be latched and yet the door ruptures in the middle, as the photographs show.

With the scant information revealed which is conflicting and wrong at that, hope for an open objective investigation is waning.

If this sounds like whining...it is.

Poor China Airlines. The victim may again be victimized.