PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best university for AME?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2010, 17:18
AME Training

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AME Training

Good Day,

AME Training:
There are approximately 14 colleges and institutions with Transport Canada approved AME basic training programs in Canada. These Approved Training Organizations (ATOs)can be found in Transport Canada Airworthiness Notice C002: Airworthiness Notice - C002, Edition 10 - 27 October 2005 - Airworthiness Notices - Policy Development - Aircraft Maintenance and Manufacturing - Aircraft - Air Transportation - Transport Canada
AN C002 has fairly comprehensive information about AME training and is a good reference document. The ATOs are listed in Appendix "B" .
Canadian AME training is well regulated and meets most countries' aviation regulatory standards. Having said that, to my knowledge, Canada does not have reciprocal agreements with other countries that guarantee compliance with foriegn training standards. Therefore, each country's aviation regulatory agency would decide, on an individual basis, whether approved Canadian training would meet their standards. I have met with representatives from the Indian aviation regulatory agency (DGCA), and they suggested that the Canadian standards would meet their requirements.

Best program:
You were interested in the "best" program. All the institutions delivering TC approved AME Basic training are Audited by a national TC audit team to the standards in Chapter 566 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations on an ongoing basis. The credentials from any of the ATOs have the same value and all the Approved programs in Canada are very good. Any suggestion of 1 being better that the other is based on individual or employer opinions, and that varies all over the country.

I would suggest that you chosse a program based on your preference for location, cost, or other personal preferences.

Appprenticeship: Stevenson Campus at Red River College offers an AME diploma course and the only Approved AME "M" apprenticeship program in Canada. Apprenticeship is not a great fit for International applicants because the applicant must be employed as an apprentice aircraft mechanic with a Canadian employer to get into the program.

Electrical/electronics degree: I believe that an electronics degree from a reputable university would be a major assett in both AME training and future employment in the industry. There is pressure from the industry, AME associations, and Colleges to incorporate more electrical content into AME training. The College of the North Atlantic in Gander, have an approved 2 year program that includes content for both the AME "M" and "E" (avionics) licenses.
This degree should also be a great assett if you decide to pursue Pilot Training.

The Aviation Industry/employment: Globally the demand for both AMEs and Pilots is strong. I have been to India a few times and worked with a college in Chandagarh on an joint AME training program. It is my understanding that the Indian air carriers need many more AMEs.
In Canada employment opportunities for graduates of the programs have been very good to date. This may change if the economy gets worse, but so far prospects are good.
Aviation is a challenging and rewarding industry with worldwide opportunities.
The pay is good and working conditions are usually quite good.
Everyone I know in the industry likes it and finds it interesting, and often exciting. Many students from India train in Canada as AMEs and any that I have dealt with, say that they love the training and the work.

Pilot training:
You mentioned that your ultimate desire would be to become a pilot.
There is a big demand for pilots globally and it is expected to increase rapidly. Most large air carriers want applicants to have a degree or diploma. You have that, and I believe that an Electronics degree would be well received. The actual flight training can be accomplishesd at any flight training unit, and there are many in Canada. It can be done at your own pace, or as funds are available. It is always good to have "back up" skills such as your electronics skills and/or AME certification, because flying certification is dependant on medical fitness as determined annually by an Aviation Medical Examiner.

I believe that this information is fairly accurate and hope it has been of some help.
Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Dennis Doersam
Director,
Red River College/Stevenson Aviation Campus
[email protected]