PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure
Thread: Engine Failure
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2010, 14:55
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 172driver
The chap in this thread would certainly agree!

On a different note: I once read (cannot find the reference any more) that about 70-80% of engine failures - or least the EFATO variety - occur at the first change in power setting after t/o. This comes from some FAA statistic and it certainly impressed me enough to avoid changes to the power setting until at about 1000' (when and where possible). Can someone confirm?
This notion came from a study of EFATO failures of large radial engines. It has to do with the change in loadings of the nose case reduction gear and or valve train. The theory being that the change of power and especially RPM alters the forces inside the engine which could trigger a harmfull vibration or imbalance in an allready failing engine and lead to the engine self destruction. Therefor it became a realtively common practice to not make early power reduction in these engines. However since almost all light aircraft have simple direct drive lightly loaded engines the factors that are an issue for the big radials do not exist. I read a short note on this issue from one of the engine makers (lycoming I believe) which stated that if the engine made full power and was running smoothly at the start of the takeoff run it was very unlikely to suffer an internal mechanical failure at the first power reduction.

However in a take off of a single engine aircraft, altitude is your friend so I think a full power climb to a 1000 feet at Vy is a good idea to quickly get some altitude and therefore have more options in the event of an EFATO