PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Spitalgate FLTLT Bullivant & SqnLdr Crump
Old 18th Aug 2010, 14:25
Footless Halls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! I took my 'A and B' at Spitalgate - it must have been in about August 1972 when I was 16 and about 2 months old. Three solos in a T31 and that was it.

I have some old photos somewhere which I'll try and look up. I also have my old ATC logbook. I can't remember my long-suffering Instructor's name, but I do recall two things. One was that he was obsessed with collecting mushrooms, which he used to spot from the circuit and then collect when we landed. The other was the first solo. We were instructed to pull off the launch at 900' QFE as I recall and fly a square circuit. It was not explained to me that without an instructor aboard I would get a higher launch. On my first solo I think I reached the dizzy height of 1,100' or even 1,150' QFE. So as I flew exactly the same circuit as before (singing 'she flies like a bird in the sky' from a television advert at the top of my voice) I landed half way down the field. There were very long faces over this but I was permitted to fly the remaining two circuits on the understanding that I pulled off at 900' QFE.

Happy days, except that I didn't solo again for about 7 years.