PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots of Australia - time to unite - Meeting Aug 23
Old 18th Aug 2010, 13:02
Gas Bags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teggun posted,

I realise we need to something to stop the rot and the upcoming meeting is a good start, however I just wonder what can be.

Just because we have a meeting with a great turn out, isn't all of a sudden going to change this management point of view.

We also know what happens with industrial action, so please someone advise how can we turn it around.

I can tell you from experience that the only way you will influence them to sway from their agenda is to get the public on side and more than likely that will only be done by playing the safety card. The PUBLIC response is the only thing that will scare this action because other than that it is all LEGAL, and people will do what it takes to get the job (like it or lump it).

You have all seen the response from BB to the onshoring of foreign pilots rhetoric and that is...

Mr Buchanan has denied that the airline is planning to bring in overseas pilots at lower wages and conditions and last week accused AIPA of scaremongering.

He said anyone employed in Australia would be subject to immigration and Australian workplace laws and said the main aim of the scheme was to create opportunities for Australians.
He is entirely correct and acting within Australian industrial laws.

Jetstar are part of the QANTAS group and the only thing the QANTAS group will protect at all costs is their SAFETY RECORD. Anything else can be easily dealt with via the many highly paid spin doctors on their payroll.

Unfortunate as it may seem to the Pilots involved the public really is not that concerned because they dont see an airline pilot as 'doing it tough' so using the fair play angle wont cut it with the Australian public, the majority of who are on 1/3 the money and doing more hours to get it.

Once again it is the public opinion that will sway these people from their course, NOTHING ELSE. You all need to find the springboard to make that happen.

I wish all of you the best and sincerely hope that the 23rd will be the beginning to a quick solution.

Again I want to say I hope you guys completely turn this thing around as it is a travesty that you are the latest to feel.

Please read Mr. Hat's post (#20). He has it right on the money.

GB