PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - final approach technique: pitch vs power
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2010, 09:50
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What pilots do and the techniques we use flying heavier hardware is a skill in itself
Flying an aeroplane is flying an aeroplane.

The only difference between flying a B747 and a 3 axis microlight it the distance ahead of the aircraft one's brain has to be. Pitch, Roll, Yaw all work the same.

If you are maintaining a constant profile, the throttle(s) are closed and you want to slow down quicker then you need to add some drag - not raise the nose which straight away gets you away from the pitch for speed no matter what type you are flying......even if it is a glider.

That is why some people are very lucky to progress as far as turboprops and will never get beyond that. Others struggle with keeping up with a C172 and others are quite at home in a heavy jet. It has nothing to do with "flying" and more to do with keeping ahead of the game i.e. managing the flight. I know a few very skilled pilots who could no doubt fly a B747 but they would not be able to manage the operation.

This debate is not about flight management it is about flying the approach.

But forcing pilots to use a skill set appropriate to heavier hardware in spam cans is self defeating and does nobody any favours.

The list is huge

Adding stuff on for gusts
Flying the PAPIS
Using checklists in the air
Ading stuff on for gusts - a good safe practice provided that it is understood and done properly and that the aircraft does not arrive at the flare with the full factor plus a few knots extra.

Flying the PAPIS - mandatory as a minimum for most airfields that have them. The CFE recently had to warn instructors about the dangers of teaching students to make flapless approaches at an angle less than the PAPI's and even if there are no PAPI's then the student should be taught how to judge the runway aspect so that the same approach angle is flown as a minimum.

Unsing checklists in the air - provided that the person who designs the SOPs and checklist has done the job correctly then this should not be a problem. If you find yourself flying something larger than a spam can and get the opportunity to practice the PIC incapicitation scenario in the sim you will find that while operating single pilot (with the autopilot failed ) you are still expected to complete the required checklists from the checklists. Note that I am talking checklists and not the usual crutch do-list of 1,000 items that is prevelent at most FTO's.

And the one I loved last year one pilot announced that it was illegal to use more than 5 deg's of bank below 1000ft in a spam can flying VFR. Which you might not know is actually a stabilised approach critrial for CAT on a IMC approach.
I don't know where you read about stabilised approach criteria however, the following are the general criteria for stabilised approach:

Approach Path

Speed

Configuration

Power setting

Limiting bank angle to 5 degrees during the approach phase would cause chaos on gusty days. Yes is can be such a low limit during landing/ touchdown to account for underslung engines, large wingspans vs short undercarriage and of course the effct of wing sweep.

At Vref in the landing configuration it is safe to apply up to 15 degrees angle of bank and you will find that the safe bank angle is a function of indicated speed and not altitude with the exception of the usual 2 wingspans / 50ft above the surface limitation.

This relationship between bank angle and minimum safe speed you will find is applicable to all aeroplanes. An Aeroplane is an Aeroplane. We teach students to fly aeroplanes.