PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 17th Aug 2010, 22:50
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a red herring. BA cabin crew have not asked for a payrise. They have accepted the need for cuts but not to the extent BA demand. The rest of BA's offer is poor, the payrises are a smoke screen, there appears to have been a belief that crew would jump at the chance, however most can see that a 3% gain now is will quickly become a much higher percent loss within the next few years.
You may call it a red herring, I call it an olive branch.

"To the extent BA demand?" For the benefit of those that have forgotten what all of this was initially about - one crew member off a plane. That's the "extent BA demanded".

"The rest of the BA offer is poor?" In exchange for one crew member off a plane, I (one of the 1100 copper-bottomed contracted crew) have a 2 yr pay deal, a top up payment incase my allowances should fall, and a guarantee to my existing t&c's. Seems like more than a fair exchange to me.

A 3% gain now is extremely valuable. According to tonights' UK news headlines, inflation is stuck high at 3.1% and unlikely to subside for some time. The news also reported how many people have the added burden of pay freezes for two years and will therefore struggle to meet the high inflation costs and will feel the pinch for sometime to come. I am extremely grateful that my copper-bottomed deal protects me against the UK's high inflation costs.

What have you got to protect you against high inflation, PC767? BASSA?