PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing Air Maroc on EHAM june 6th
Old 17th Aug 2010, 17:03
songbird29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The preliminary report does state more than the obvious imho :
NARRATIVE
The aircraft had multiple bird strikes with geese during take-off from runway 18L. This resulted in heavy damage and loss of the left engine. The crew declared an emergency and the aircraft was vectored to runway 18R immediately. The aircraft’s climb performance was degraded. The highest altitude during the flight was approximately 630 feet. The aircraft made an overweight landing and the tires of the right main landing gear were blown.
This leads me to the following observations:

1. The altitude of the aircraft being 630 feet is twice the altitude reported by ground observers but far below the required 1700 feet MSA.
2. I attended a presentation of the Robin system detecting bird migration some eight years ago at an aviation conference in the US. I am glad to see it has received fresh attention.
3. The aircraft was vectored, meaning that the low altitude route over the city of Haarlem was on the initiative of the controller and not the pilot.
4. The Bijlmer accident in 1992 where an El Al Cargo 747 crashed into an appartment block in the eastern suburbs of Amsterdam gave rise to a parliamentary recommendation to introduce city contours on the radar screens, in order to avoid reoccurrence of the Bijlmer tragedy.
5. I am looking forward to the full investigation report of this incident.