PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2010, 12:05
lambourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At an airline that I worked at some years ago we had what were called ' permanent F/Os'.
If you can still read and comprehend you will find that I did fly Captain for 10 years on both the A and B at my company. Thanks to the FTD's (Fly till I die) group our retirements stopped. Combine Age 65 with the recession and quality of life transitioned from mid line holder Captain to reserve Captain. While being a Captain was enjoyable and I can still bid back when I wish, it just doesn't define my existence.

Any Captain, any where, who deliberately bids down to an f/o position rather than continue in command has a major, major problem!
I really like when you old gompers make statements such as this. It presents a complete lack of knowledge of what goes on at the airline anywhere, but in your dementia laden mind. As a Captain I worked 18 days flying 4 day trips that started at 0600 and usually returned at 2300 all for 75 to 85 hours. As a senior FO I fly 9 days total, the trips start and finish in the afternoon and my pay is 85-89 each month. The pay difference in hourly rates is so small and the international perdiem high enough that I get paid MORE to fly less days than I did as Captain.

Now I may not have that unique vision and insight that such esteemed gummers like yourself have. But if I can get paid more to fly LESS then that makes quite a bit of sense to me. Perhaps if I was so caught up in my self worth like you guys, then I would not be able to see sanity of my argument. If I was only defined by being an airline Captain and unable to function in normal social settings like yourself then I too would probably be unable to comprehend the logic of this situation. You sound a lot like the average old pilot I know that is too cheap to buy a newspaper but blows his money on ridiculous watches, boats, ex-wives and my favorite, the can't miss investment. So many times I have heard you clowns whine about bad investments. Of course these guys were 59 and still heavily invested in stocks during the last down turn. If you guys had an ounce of sense and were able to relinquish control to a fund manager you wouldn't be penniless in your B fund. Nope, you guys are full speed ahead in always being right. Just too bad you are always WRONG.....Just like your assessment of my bidding. Only a egotistical, maniacal Captain like yourself would rather work twice as much for less pay. Yep, that is some real genius you got there Cap'n. Can you tell me what stocks you are invested in?

Last edited by lambourne; 17th Aug 2010 at 12:29.