PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - final approach technique: pitch vs power
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:57
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did that come from?

Of course the student will know what technique they will be doing they will have sat through a brief on it.

Its you as the checking pilot won't have a clue what they are using because they will be linking there control inputs for cause and affect.

A PnP instructor will think they will be doing that and a pitch for speed instructor will think they are doing that. When in fact they are doing neither.

Its not really easier for every student or pilot for that matter.

Its blinkered instructors who cause the issue demanding a single method is the only correct way which to operate.

Anyway when one of your students has an instrument failure they can roll out the fire engines and give enough runway they will get it in or maybe stall on finals. If they have the wrong angle to the point they are aiming at the have no reference to the speed they are doing. If they are high and to steep they will be to fast and low they will be to slow. They have no way of correcting the profile.

Set the attitude for the configuration and students will quite happily sit at +- 2 knts off the desired approach speed if they are too high they sort it maintaining that speed and if to low the same thing all without the use of the ASI. Also means they have their head out the window more.

Mind will (and one has in the past) will think what was it that fat bastard said? O aye stick that rpm on and that attitude in the window. Wait for a bit until the controls don't feel firm, stick a bit of flap down get that attitude sorted again trim. Approach looks normal stick another bit of flap down sort the attitude again trim. Play with the knobs a bit. Land.

Think o bugger I forgot to declare, h'mm, those folk on pprune are going to not like that. But I wasn't any danger I knew what I was doing, it was just like doing no instrument circuits in my PPL.

And the reason why I feel it is such a good skill to have is because i have had exactly the same failure myself and it really was a none event flying for half an hour in class G through the cairngoms looking out the window with the ASI reading zero. Landed in Dundee pipe reattached or what ever they do to fix these things.

Crack on with teaching your method though the PnP fantics won't listen to the good points of pitch for power. Myself I can and do teach both methods but the over riding method choosen is because it suits the student. Over 80% of my students when i was teaching full time did less than 3 hours in the ciircuit before solo. Mainly because i was anally retentive about making sure the intial lessons had sunk in properly.

If you having students in the circuit for more than 5 hours without going solo have a look at your own methods and philosophy of instructing.

What pilots do and the techniques we use flying heavier hardware is a skill in itself and mostly its to do with energy managment and configuration over a speed range of some 100-200 knts over the approach phase. Yes it is a slightly different skill set and one that takes a bit of getting used to. But forcing pilots to use a skill set appropriate to heavier hardware in spam cans is self defeating and does nobody any favours.

The list is huge

Adding stuff on for gusts
Flying the PAPIS
Using checklists in the air

And the one I loved last year one pilot announced that it was illegal to use more than 5 deg's of bank below 1000ft in a spam can flying VFR. Which you might not know is actually a stabilised approach critrial for CAT on a IMC approach.

Everyone seems to be determined to fly a spam can like its a 747