PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caribbean Islands
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2002, 18:54
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it wouldn’t surprise me that much. I can’t remember which hurricane it was (In 1990 or 92 somewhere back then) I flew in into STT right after it passed in a U.S. Marshal 72. I was the second airplane (I think) to land there the first was the FAA’s DC-9 and right after I landed a C-141 landed.

The primary reason we went in was to evacuate the prisoners in the jail back to the US. However we rapidly had to change the mission when the Deputy US Marshal on the scene reported that there where no prisoners because the police had let them go and that the local police where looting and leading gangs.

I got a phone patch through Mc Dill AFB to Washington and we flew back to Miami and picked up a SOG team and came back the next day. As you probably know the island was placed under martial law and it took awhile for things got back to normal.

One side note; nobody could figure out how my airplane got unloaded so fast during this time at STT. Everybody, military and FAA included, took hours to get unloaded. After the first trip I always brought a couple hundred pounds of ice and 4 to 6 cases of beer. Worked like a charm.

(Don’t tell anybody about the beer, illegal on US government aircraft you know)