PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inexperienced Pilots of LX 3597
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2001, 14:48
Capt H Peacock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Clearly, it seems that many of you like to use the RAD ALT during the approach, and if that’s what grabs you then fine. But I would strongly suggest that during your briefing you clearly state what radio height you intend to set it to, what it means, and what action you intend to take if your chosen parameter is busted. For me, it is still a distraction, and doesn’t add anything useful to the primary aim, which is to accurately and safely fly the intended non-precision approach.

As for being forced into an unfamiliar approach onto an unbriefed runway, then to hell with the tree-huggers and bunny-shaggers, you’re in charge. Tell ATC what you want. If you don’t like the weather for a particular promulgated approach, then do your preferred approach and tell ATC what you require of them. In this case I would have been quite prepared to justify my actions afterwards to anyone. The reason is SAFETY FIRST. This particular skipper would have had every justification in the world to use the ILS 14, particularly since the previous aircraft suggested that the weather was on minimums.

Remember, you’re in charge.