PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - final approach technique: pitch vs power
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2010, 09:29
Falz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding my 2p to the discussion.

I only learned PnP during my FIC training, until then I was definitely a Pitch for Speed kind of a guy.

The problem is that it really doesn't matter a jot what method gets the studen to 6ft off the deck, because there won't be two instructors around that will teach the flair with the same technique.

The interesting thing is that PnP will get the students to that 6ft, and the same 6ft above the runway everytime on every approach. Then they can have the good old schoolboy hash at trying the flair. And with a PnP student, who can now hold an aiming point and watch a speed they can use the same technique into the flair by changing the aiming point to the end of the runway and holding the point whilst monitoring the speed.

So those who are agast and worry about the aircraft suddenly rearing into the stall don't worry PnP guys will notice it first, whether they do something about it...well depends how loudly you shout across the intercoms as with all students

For the other method, and I'll admit I was guilty of this even through my CPL training, the student will get to a safe 6ft off of the runway, the problem is that until they have a good few hours in the circuit it will be a random safe 6ft above the runway. And that's no good for effective training because we don't want students stuck in the circuit, well I don't anyway, for a good few hours before they go solo, only to get stuck in to a good few hours of consolidation afterwards.

MJ, I'm a little bit confused. You said that you use PnP but teach the other method. Now presumably you don't tell your students that you actually use a different landing technique from them.

That strikes me as bit of "There are two ways to stay ahead in business, one is to not tell everything you know..."