PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Troops returning from Helmand pay for own flights
Old 16th Aug 2010, 05:20
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
When I arrived in HERRICK (albeit after a 4 day 3 Tristar marathon), on my RSOI I was told that there had been a minor change in policy, and that your 14 day R&R allocation started from the moment you landed at Brize, and not when you left KAF. As such delays in Cyprus shouldnt count towards your R&R.

If I were to sound very harsh, I'd say that I have no sympathy with those troops buying flights home and then complaining about it. Its made clear to all that R&R is a privilege and not a right, and that the Tri* fleet is knackered. Everyone knows you'll be screwed around getting to/from theatre, but thats life in theatre for you. We're not the only country to have these problems, my US colleagues have given me tales of getting back from Bagram which makes the Tri* fleet look like sheer perfection by comparison.

Ultimately the RAF will get you home and you will get leave. If you choose to short circuit the process, then thats your decision, but don't got whinging to the bloody media because of it. It won't change anything, and just does more damage and morale sapping to the 216 Guys who are working their socks off to keep us getting to/from theatre (and I say this as a matelot).