PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you reclaim the VAT and/or tax on training costs?
Old 15th Aug 2010, 20:56
DanielSten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I want to ask a question that will hopefully clarify everything if someone can answer the question.

I want to become a Helicopter pilot and I want to take the following courses, PPL(H), CPL(H), ATPL(H), FI(H) and IR(H). Possibly also some type ratings and of course some hours of training time as well as groundschool and books.

To reclaim the VAT on this I need to look at myself as a self-employed, correct? This is convenient as I want to start of as a instructor and therefore will be paying VAT in the future. Should I register for VAT before commencing the courses and keep the school I'm training at sending invoices and I keep paying and reclaiming VAT after each invoice?

It will probably be like one big invoice for PPL(H), CPL(H), ATPL(H) and FI(H) and after that it will be smaller for hour-building and for the IR(H) later on. For this I can just keep reclaiming VAT each quarter for the invoices I've recieved, correct?

I just want to clarify this since I want to become a helicopter pilot and the best way is to start of as a self-employed. Also, do anyone know if there's any problem being a non-UK citizen but still european? What do I need to fix before registering for VAT?

Best regards and safe flying,
Daniel