PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2010, 18:27
slast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
33/50% voters

I raised this issue earlier (post 688). I question the right of a 50% worker’s vote to strike carrying equal weight with that of a full-time worker – after all they have a 50% less chance of being required to follow through by refusing to report on a strike day, and have less to lose than a full-timer if things go wrong (as they have in the current situation).

However I don't think lots of overtime should entitle you to MORE than 1 vote, after all overtime is supposed to be occasional work in excess of contracted time. But if I was not only working 100% but also doing overtime, and I voted one way, I should certainly feel annoyed if a decision turned on the views of those without even 100% commitment. As a former "union rep" as well, I would have some doubt about how accurate an indication of strength of feeling I was getting from a ballot which didn't differentiate part-timers from full timers. That may be a factor in BASSA's misjudgement of how much impact they'd actually have when push (threat) came to shove (stoppage). Even a committed striker doesn't have any impact on the business if they happen to be at home anyway.