PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR - Can the Min Def and Joint Chiefs just say no!?
Old 15th Aug 2010, 17:54
Biggus

Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts
MM,

I think you got it right in your second paragraph, the SDSR is purely a cost savings exercise (in my opinion) so everyhing else you say, while possibly valid, is of no consequence.

Have a look at this....

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Defence Policy and Business | Dr Liam Fox outlines reform of the Ministry of Defence

About half way down they talk of 5 steps, which starts off with effectively how much money is saved, and works thoriugh what capability is lost as a result with associated risks.

Surely a SDR should run as follows:

Step 1 - Decide what HMG wants to be able to do in the world in terms of Defence and Foreign Policy.

Step 2 - Decide what assets/capabilities are required to fulfill the wishes established in Step 1.

Step 3 - Cost the assets/capabilities decided in Step 2.

Step 4 - If the costs calculated in Step 3 are acceptable FINE! If the costs are unacceptable revisit step 1 and decide what we are no longer going to be able to do as a nation. Trim our aspirations.

Now go through steps 1-4 repeatedly until the costs generated in step 3 are acceptable....

This doesn't appear to be what we are doing. It appears to be a case of "there is this much money, what can we still do, and what risks are we taking.....".

At least that is how it appears to me, but then I have been told before that I look at things too simply......!!!