PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2010, 13:50
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Papillon

Landroger, I'm not supporting the notion of indifference, I'm saying that people have the right to be indifferent and apathetic. Whether in a General Election or a union ballot, people have the right not to care. That they then deserve everything they get as a result of that indifference is a separate point. Forcing someone to vote is an illiberal act.
I know you're not supporting it Papillon - I realised that when I re-read your post again - but you are propounding that the indifferent have the right to be so. It is that with which I disagree and while you might actually be right, that forcing people to vote is an illiberal act, I think the end justifies the means.

Apathy in voting has some very hard lessons in history - militants and fanatics will always be bothered to turn out and vote - although an extreme case, read how Hitler came to power....
Harrypic's observation is absolutely spot on and exactly why the relatively minor infringement of my rights, represented by requiring me to vote, is to be preferred and more beneficial to "society" - in the long view.

Roger.