PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An inside look at flight cancellations for those who wonder....
Old 15th Aug 2010, 13:28
Flock1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a victim of such a cancellation ealrier this month. I do not mind naming the airline either, American Airlines. But what got me most was the first officer. Let me explain.

We had just landed at JFK and were now sitting on our connecting flight to Boston with American Eagle. Bags had been processed, all passengers seated (on a E135), and we were all waiting to go. Suddenly a voice from the flightdeck came on. "Hi, folks, this is the first officer speaking here. We're all set to go just as soon as a replacment Captain arrives, I've been told that it won't be too long before he arrives. In the meantime, sit back..."

So we all sat back and waited and waited, After maybe fifteen minutes, the first officer came back on the PA saying that he'd heard the captian was in the building and was now making his way to the aircraft. "And then," said the pilot, "we'll be on our way."

Another twenty minutes later, and there was still no sign of the captian. The single cabin crew attendant deicded to come around and give us drinks and some nuts, which was nice, but we all would've preferred to be on our way.

Then is an strange turn of events,a deadheading pilot went to the cockpit and then, soon after,left the aircrat. So did a couple of deadheading cabin crew. This didn't bode well for our short flight to Boston. And then the first officer emerged from the cockpit and stood in front of us. He picked up the microhone and started speaking. "Look, I'm really embarrassed about this because there is no excuse. The flight plan in done, we have clearance, but we have no captain, which we legally need to have to operate this flight. I've been told by dispatch that all of your bags are going to be unloaded and you'll all have to leave the aircraft."

As the poor guy was making his announcment, people were busy with their phones, and one passenger asked the pilot whether the flight had actually been cancelled. The first officer shook his head and said he didn't know for sure. Suddenly a passenger across the aisle from us said that the flight HAD been cancelled.

"How do you know?" asked the surprised pilot.

"Cos someone just checked for me."

"Someone who works for American Airlines?"

"No, just a friend."

The pilot looked furious, and who could blame him. "Well that's just typical. Us at the front end are always that last to know."

As well all left the plane, the pilot personally apologised to each and every one of us.

Flock1