PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WA Air Operator sues CASA and Officials
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2010, 06:28
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Henry The Octopus,

One major part of the problem is that there is no standardization - Whether amongst FOIs or sundry instructors/ATO at large. As Clinton says: "Where do you think FOI's come from", or words to that effect.

In short, there are a wide variety of "techniques" being used in Asymmetric Training, and as the fatality record quite clearly shows ----- a significant proportion are deadly.

Yes! I do know what has been "required" (informally of course, nothing goes on paper) by certain FOIs in recent (and not so recent) times. Read the Polar Air story for a "not so recent".

A later post on this thread is calling for standardization on a training program that minimizes the risk of loss of control ---- the primary risk, and also recognizes the potential for engine damage to powerplants working at high stress levels and high temperatures ---- that binds all FOIs ----- I have been waiting for that for years ----- we could do worse than copy FAA requirements on the subject.

And, I might say, recognizes as valid the recommendations of the manufacturer's POH, by whatever name. It is a of bane of my existence that persons of limited understanding continually demand Operations Manual insertions that are contrary to the aircraft certification and POH requirements, by whatever name.

In one case recently, requiring a demonstration of a maneuver that is strictly prohibited by the manufacturer.

I do not accept the "position" that a manufacturer's "recommendations" made on clear safety grounds are "only recommendations", and do not need be observed in training. Before you jump on me, I am not talking about "Cautions" to be observed, but safety recommendations by whatever name.

Observation of such recommendations is a good way to stay alive.

Tootle pip!!