PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 15th Aug 2010, 04:57
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a comment from an av enthusiast...

Neither crew performed adequately, and both crews' errors are somewhat understandable.

I think it boils down to two things: A difference in how each crew "owned" their mistake, and a difference in corporate culture.

What is noteworthy about both incidents is how big a role media now plays. A pilot has beans for dinner and farts, and presto! the WSJ has an analyst of one sort or another covering his gas.

At a time when workloads are up, pay is down, and job security is rapidly sliding away down the slope, pilots are under more instantaneous scrutiny than ever before - and often this scrutiny is the result of second-string media talent putting together a story which will sparkle on a resume.

As a young man I considered becoming a pilot, and set out in that direction. I had truly enjoyed studying for my PPL but it brought forth a realization that I'm lousy at thinking in three dimensions and that I cannot do basic math quickly. I decided after my first solo that my skills were not adequate - nothing bad happened, it was a wonderful experience, but it made me realize that I wasn't cut for it. I've had the pleasure of playing co-pilot in small planes over the years, and I'm thankful for the friends who have indulged me while watching over me and keeping both of us safe.

I also considered journalism, but decided to pursue electronics instead because I saw more future potential for technical savvy.

I'm glad that I made those decisions.

It would be heartbreaking to be close to retirement age and see the industry in its current condition. And it would be absolutely embarrassing to be a journalist these days.

RR

As a postscript:

the real delta pilot landed on time! ;-)
Supremely hilarious, PTH!