PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crosswind approaches
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2010, 19:17
cjm_2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And even if it were, you need a good set of hardware (yoke, pedals, multi-monitor setup) to properly understand and appreciate what's going on.
I'm running a saitek pro yoke setup with throttle quadrant and rudder pedals - it's helped me make pretty rapid progress, and due to the lack of force feedback or sensory cues, i'm finding the sim 'harder' than the real thing

we covered a sideslip approach on the third lesson - foolishly I'd mentioned trying it on the sim the night before to my instructor; we came in at a rediculous angle and I had to fight every instinct in holding the slip to maintain the descent rate, before he talked me through how to 'clean things up' at the threshold. it was totally and utterly bonkers. the biggest problem I had was metering the elevator inputs during the slip - I'd be making pretty big inputs and not waiting for reactions; and then there was the complete difference in the picture of the runway I'd become used to during a normal approach.

I got out of the plane with the biggest sweat patch on my back, shaking like a leaf. and totally buzzing.

that night I tried it again on my pc - and ended up spinning into the ground