PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Recommendation re Airbus Rudder Travel Limits
Old 14th Aug 2010, 15:23
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many more pictures of fins floating in the water - as in AA557, AF 447, and the NZ 'unexpected turn' Perpignan test flight, will we see?
I wasn't aware there was a yaw component to the Perpignan test flight - in fact I'd be surprised if there was. We don't know if there was on AF447, but the structural investigation indicates that the vertical stabiliser separated on impact. As I understand it the design of the vertical stabiliser/rudder and it's mountings are completely different across the A300-A320-A33/40 series, so any link there would only be tenuous at best.

It has taken years, but are we now at a point where anecdote might indicate a consistent pattern of evidence?
I'm a cautious enough person to never say never, but my opinion for what it's worth is that it's very unlikely, for the reasons above among others. The famous pictures of the TWA800 wreckage at the surface were not the first parts to separate. The fin in the pictures from the wreckage of the Air India bombing was also not the first to separate. On the other hand, the venerable 737 had been in the air for 24 years before the "perfect storm" of a PCU valve worn in a specific manner combined with extreme low temperatures exposed a design flaw, and it took a non-fatal incident in the wake of two, sadly, fatal accidents before that design flaw was exposed.

The Air Transat incident caused a lot of focus to be put on potential delamination issues, and that focus was compounded by AA587. As a result new inspection procedures are in place and a much more rigorous fatigue monitoring programme has been implemented, as well as all A30/10 training programmes making a point to explain the differences in the rudder system. None of this would have been the case if the accepted version of events simply pinned it on First Officer Molin and left it at that.

I understand the desire to "clear the name" of one of your own, but I don't think there's any name to clear - as I said, it's understood that many pilots put in that position may have acted in the same manner had they had the same training. First Officer Molin was sadly in the wrong place at the wrong time.