PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2010, 09:55
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Papillon

I think there is a very good argument that not voting is irresponsible, when it mandates very damaging industrial action that can affect many others.
Certainly. I'm not sure too many would disagree. The question is, whether forcing those who do not wish (or can't be bothered) to vote makes that any better. Again, do you really want up to 50% of those voting only doing so because they're forced? How valid would that be?

Quote:
The Australian government view seems to be that voting is too important not to care about.
Doesn't make them right. It's a fundamental right to be indifferent too - I would contend forcing people to vote is utterly undemocratic.
Surely Papillon, indifference is what makes democracy so difficult? Not only which, there are many aspects of our lives where indifference is most definitely not optional. I found myself quite indifferent to paying my car tax yesterday - its gone up about 20% for no other reason than the government felt able to do that without much bad press, but I digress. To ignore the fact that my car tax is due, was simply not an option - very quickly someone will compel me to pay it or the car is taken away.

It is people who 'can't be bothered' who throw litter out of moving cars. It is not their right to do so and someone will, sometime, catch them at it and, quite rightly, punish them for doing so. If I see it on the roads, I tend to phone the local authority with the registration number. Not being bothered is not your right - it is not and should not be any part of public life.

I'm afraid I am of the 'rights are paid for by responsibilities' mind set - no responsibility, no rights. People have fought and died for the right to vote - and it doesn't much matter whether it is National Elections, Local Elections, Local Referenda, your Parochial Church Council or your Union trying to gauge support or opposition, then indifference is both a waste of a right and offensive to your peers.

The Australian government, on this rare occasion, have the right of it. Indifference is an antisocial - and intolerable - behaviour. Sorry about the rant Papillon - it isn't directed at you personally.

Roger.