PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Power Line Networking - some thoughts
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2010, 08:07
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mixture
In your personal life perhaps, but not in the world at large.
- no, not even in 'my life', actually, but having become 'involved' in looking at various aspects of (UK) rural broadband issues, it is apparent that there are several companies looking at PLN to solve the 'digital divide' since BT are (understandably) not interested in spending money for small return. As well as PLN there are trials of running fibre ALONG the power line network. There are trials in place of both.

Until the coalition get their ducks in a row and sort out the BT side of things so that we can develop a national cohesive network based on fibre there may well be PLN broadband distribution to rural areas.

I have been whinging at OfCom and Mr Vaizey to grip this BT thing or we will finish up with umpty dumpty different distribution systems all over the UK, few of which will be 'compatible' in terms of creating a uniform national distribution system. What BT appear to be doing at the moment is waiting until a rural community self-funds an expensive alternative distribution, and then nipping in and undercutting with a fibre supply - which I think is a deplorable practice and needs urgent government action.