PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping the wings level in a stall
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2010, 07:16
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been following this thread with a lot of interest, but not chiming in because I'm not sure what I have to contribute, But what the heck...

My plane (TR182) will fly in the stalled regime using ailerons for gentile roll. I'm sure that if you oput in full aileron it would probably snap - I haven't tried it. But *tiny* amounts of aileron do what it says on the tin.

Just the other day I flew a falling leaf (or what I call falling leaf)... stall, hold the yoke in your lap, and fly using rudder to keep the wings level. No sweat. sometimes you put in a bootload of rudder but overall it flies very nicely. The key thing is to stay ahead of the game and relax rudder as soon as it starts to respond.

I also did the same thing in the Pitts recently. Hold the stall, stick full back, and keep wings level (more or less) with rudder. No problem.

I've only tried this in one plane where it didn't work - that was a Citabria that was clearly badly out of trim. After I got into two incipient spins, my instructor (who seriously knows what he is doing) said "let me show you" - and promptly did the same thing. We agreed that something needed adjusting, and did something else instead.

Bottom line - ailerons SHOULD work but rudder definitely DOES work.

John