PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transfering FAA hours to JAA logbook
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 19:36
aloha1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfering FAA hours to JAA logbook

To some the title in itself may be a contradiction in terms, but please bear with me. I'm in the final stages of a JAA crediting programme, and my instructor has mentioned that many who have done their flight training in the US, upon finishing up in Norway, sum up their total FAA hours and put it into their JAA logbook to keep things tidy. I like the idea, but amongst those I've asked there are very divided opinions about whether it's actually a legal thing to do.

My understanding is that a logbook is simply a way to document hours, and the hours therein are not more or less legal be they flown under FAA or JAA regulations as long as they are logged under the applicable rules (and/or document times related to obtaining a licence or rating).

Based on that I can't see a problem with transfering FAA hours into a JAA logbook. However, I also have an electronic logbook which I'd like to maintain in a JAR-compliant format. My dual received hours from the US are PIC hours under FAA regulations, but should I subtract the combined PIC/Dual received hours from the PIC totals when transfering, even though they are legal PIC hours as they were flown with US licences in N-registed aircraft?

To sum it up, does anyone have any experience with this, know what the legal issues around it are or have any thoughts about what is correct/incorrect with regards to transfering hours from one format to the other, or presenting FAA hours in a JAA compliant logbook format? Excuse the length of the post..!