PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 16:29
Prangster

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Private Pilots Poor Performances

2 incidents come to mind. Rolls Royce Hucknall Air Display early 1970's All green Cosmic Wind. Charming pilot approaches self and boss. (Sqn Ldr) 'Can we help him start up' 3 ringer jumps at chance. 'By gum lad not swung a prop for ages' you get the drift....Many soul destroying hours later we both have aching arms and the damned thing still won't start. Pilot becoming fazed that he will miss his departure time when suddenly the motor catches.....Events as they say moved swiftly.
Aircraft rockets off to intercept runway about half way along its length. A barrage of red very's erupt from tower with Cosmic pilot taking not the blindest bit of notice and oblivious to the Chipmunk pair entering left to start their display. Monks think reds for them and sheer off just as swifty roars off in fighter fashion hauls to the left and passes underneath the bewildered UAS guys. SATCO now dancing a fandango on the balcony demanding to speak to.' whoever started that silly bas...d up' I left the 3 ringer to sort that out....

Kings Cup race day Tollerton. Me newly issued P/O given job of plane guard for Sheila Scotts 'Myth Too' a well travelled record breaking piper attracting lots of attention from the adoring public. Tanker rolls up to refuel, barriers moved crowd usherd back. All except one cove, smoking a cigar leaning on port wing. Tanker driver waiting patiently. Me 'Would sir mind moving behind the barrier and not smoking' Reply Airily, 'Oh I'm Royal Aero Club Old Boy doncha know' Me. 'In that case sir you should know better than to smoke whilst an aircraft is being refueled' By now a young copper has appeared. 'Please comply sir or I'll run you in' Really says chummy. Never been so insulted and makes off in a huff. He'd have been better staying in it, rather than mounting his trusty Cessna for not many minutes later he nearly causes a pileup onthe runway taxiing out and lining up just as a Twin Bonanza is about to land.

Small time air displays and PPL pilots...a recipe for mayhem