PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad day at the office!
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 16:07
Juud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
I fail to see reason for arrest of the pax.

On what grounds?

Someone posted this, and I'd like to see elaboration on felonious standing up get get her kit when she should not have.
Lonewolf, things might be worded slightly different where you are, but I am reasonably certain that the law is the same to all intent and purposes.
In fact, USA laws are usually stricter if anything.

Being more familiar with European law, I easily found Standard Note: SN/BT/2061 from the library of the UK House of Commons.

There are a number of offences that can be committed by aircraft passengers under the Air Navigation Order 2009, such as: entering an aircraft while drunk; being drunk on an aircraft; using threatening language or engaging in threatening behaviour; interfering with an aircraft or its crew; endangering an aircraft; and refusing to obey an order from the aircraft commander. Various penalties are available for these offences, as set out in the following note.
The FSB sign is a direct order from the commander.
The FAs are the representatives in the cabin of the commander; any safety related direction/order given to the pax by an FA is by law considered to come from the commander of the aircraft.

Most seriously, it is an offence under Article 137 to endanger the safety of an aircraft.1 Article 141 gives the ‘commander of the aircraft’ complete authority and states that every person on an aircraft “must obey all lawful commands which the commander of that aircraft may give for
the purpose of securing the safety of the aircraft and of persons or property carried in the aircraft, or the safety, efficiency or regularity of air navigation”.
The passenger disobeyed the FSB sign.
She disobeyed Slater´s direction to remain seated.
That´s two clear offenses.
Legal ones.
Or as you would phrase it: "Felonious standing up to get her kit"

When it comes to actual punishment, the situation becomes less clear.

Some countries legislate that disobeying a safety related direction from the crew equals endangering the safety of the aircraft and of persons or property carried in the aircraft, and will fine or incarcerate an offender.
Others don´t.

Perhaps you know what the law says in your country?

PS: Clunkdriver posted while I was typing; from his post it seems that a Canadian judge didn´t see it your way.
the judge was not impressed and gave him a large fine for deliberately ignoring a lawful order