PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should the RAF be scrapped? (merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 14:34
SCAFITE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get Rid of the RAF

I am really please I am well out of the RAF (left in 2002) and the current serving RAF folk of whatever Branch or Trade must be feeling lower than the snakes belly. Opinions from both within Army and the general population is that the RAF are doing or have done F**K all in both Iraq and more recent in Afghanistan. So moral of the RAF must be awful, having to go to work doing whatever you do and trying your best to complete your task while thinking most folk think we are nothing but Civilians in uniform and not worth the **** on their shoes.

We all know the front line infantryman doing what he does need applauding, but without the effective support from both service personnel and MoD Civilians they would wither on the vine. Also when you serving RAF folk get out into the big bad world you will be the first to get a job, so F**k them all and go with the flow, and let the Army do it themselves.

So to finish off with a horrible tale, during the 1980s I was coming back over the pond in a VC10 having left a snow covered Gander Airport when the Captain ordered food to be stopped being served and all Pax strap themselves in. After a good while normal service resumed, but unknown to us Pax a Contracted scruffy airliner full of US Paratroops coming back from a hard six month tour in the Middle East had crashed after taking off from Gander sometime after we had left. (No one survived) The inquiry that followed was the airliner was badly serviced and the contractor did not give 2 hoots. So if you are in the Army and think the RAF is just a bunch of overpaid fat layabouts who live the life of Riley, it is those layabouts who keep your aircraft fit for purpose bringing you home after a hard tour, as safe as possible. When you get rid of the RAF that’s what you have got to look forward to. If you dont think someting like the Gander incident will never happen again we are in the middle of a period of pinch and shortage of money and corners will be cut if they can be in the commercial world.

Last edited by SCAFITE; 13th Aug 2010 at 14:49.