PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR approaches into private sites? (UK)
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 13:48
FloaterNorthWest

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks everyone you have argued the point I wanted to make that it is possible to have a safe letdown procedure in IMC without a ground based system.

I agree that IMC letdowns are risky and not to be taken lightly and should only be used if the same thought and care is taken as on offshore ARAs. The only added cover you have onshore is that there may be radar cover available.

Sadly there are lots of pilots who have died trying to do it (and killed innocent people) without the necessary experience or suitably equipped aircraft but conversely there are lots of these letdowns carried out perfectly safely everyday using the procedures outlined above for ARAs.

Helimutt,

Sorry to nit pick with you but statements like;

well, you could ask a couple of pilots who've done it in the past but unfortunately, THEY'RE DEAD!!!!!!

Anyone flying like that wants kicked in the nuts very hard!
just gets my back up and today you hit a nerve.

I believe previously we disagreed on the merits of having an IR rated pilot to take passengers to Rally GB. I remember you advocated VFR pilots to fly around Wales in November.

Enjoy your tea and medals while it lasts because another set of heros are coming over the hill

FNW