PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Co Pilot PICUS time
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 13:10
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
• He may log as PIC U/S all the time he occupies a
pilot’s seat and acts as pilot-in-command under the
supervision of the pilot in command or a cruise relief
pilot substituting for the pilot in command.
This clearly shows that he may log P1us ALL the time he occupies the seat AND acts as P1. Not some of the time, and who is at the controls does not, as I have said again and again, does NOT get mentioned. There is NOTHING WHATSOEVER that even implies that PF is involved in this process. ANYWHERE. If you find any please, please post it here.

Look up the duties if P1, They begin at the start of pre-flight briefing and end when all post flight duties are completed. You can't cherry-pick which bits you do, you are either P1 or you are not. The same must therefore aply to a P2 acting as P1. If a P2 were to only act as P1us for "his" sectors then that would have to be discussed, organised and correctly briefed by the FO in the crew room preflight, but why bother when he can log it all?

Apart from that, what would be the point, what does it prove, if P2s log every sector as P1us without the Captain even knowing that the P2 considers himself in the Captain's seat that sector. It isnt logical, sensible or productive of anything. The PF system prvides the P2 with nothing but some Parker 51 time in his logbook, instead of the solid, essential hands-on coaching and Captaincy skills that he will needs in the future.

Also, the system used 20yrs ago under UK CAA rules was as I have stated. Please tell me when such a major shift in the concept, detail, purpose and execution of P1us was implemented?

We also know that many non eu nations laugh at the way our P2s think they are P1 when PF. Because it is simply laughable.

The last three paragraphs merely back up the logic of the facts in those above, but they must indicate to the logical mind that this change has not occurred by the advent of more recent regulatory systems.

It may also be a reflection of changes in attitude of FOs over the last couple of decades. Then every FO was gagging for knowledge, eagerly picking up every scrap of advice and suggestion from their Captains. P1us was very much a part of this process.
One sometimes wonders if the modern, integrated trained, £100,000 cadet FO isn't in the quite the same business because that eagerness for knowledge is very much less than it was. Often all but absent. Advice/suggestions are sometimes recieved as unwarrannted criticism, and sometimes treated with open scepticism. Maybe the integrated system teaches studes that they know the business so well from the start that they don't need the advice of some old curmudgeon who's been doing it for donkey's years. After all, they know the SOPs inside out and backwards. What else is required? The Command Course will come along in time and then they will be Captains too. Airmanship doesn't feature any more in some of the rigidly SOP driven companies, I suspect. It is a word neither heard nor uttered in mine.

It is easy to see how correctly applied P1us would not be popular or considered desireable under such conditions, which might explain its widespread dilution into the pointless modern parody accepted by many on this forum.
But that doesn't make it correct.