PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping the wings level in a stall
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 09:06
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To your specific question PilotDAR - when I was taught to fly the first time, in gliders in the UK there were a couple of relevant exercises that were marked off as part of the syllabus, rather than simply passed on by the instructor; they were the changing effects of rudder and aileron near the stall (predominance of secondary effects I mentioned previously, which I've experienced in a K13), and a spin entry off aileron alone, by holding off bank in a shallow turn.

I've tried to find a reference to these, as I'm guessing they must be in some sort of training manual, but can't find anything. http://www.lasham.org.uk/members/man...20syllabus.pdf does make a minor reference, but that's all.

I wonder if the reason there's not much firm guidance is a combination of factors: 1) behaviour in this regime is probably rather type specific 2) We're a rather litigous society so nobody wants to stick their neck out (normal could mean anything!) 3) appart from a lunatic fringe, aviation in general attempts to stay well away from exploring these corners, and when encountered get out of them fast. A quick unload to make the wing fly again, and you're away. No need to worry. Personally I think that's to the detriment of handling skills, but that's another arguament.

I also suspect that the 'increasing the AOA of the wingtip' explanation for an aileron induced spin is in the category of 'lies to children' - a vast oversimplification of what actually happens, but adequate for the audience. I can't argue with the principle having exprienced it, though I'm sure it's type specific.

On the flipside as someone mentioned pitts's (I couldn't resist), to my embarrassment I've so far failed all (3) attempts to spin one inverted - if you rudder at any time other than right at the break of stall it seems to just yaw with no appreciable roll developing, even when fully stalled. Ok, I'm probably a hamfisted oaf, but did I mention type specific? Go figure!

And finally englishal - I'm under the impression that things like stall strips tend to be bolted on as an afterthought to 'improve' stall behaviour of aircraft which don't play nice.. I'm more inclined to worry about the behaviour of aircraft that have them, than aircraft that don't!