PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single-Pilot-Ops
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 07:40
Francis Frogbound
The One Your Mother Warned You About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single pilot ops

Drifting slightly back towards the topic......

I used to fly a Citation 2 and a King Air around Europe single pilot and it was the hardest work I have ever done in aviation, especially in winter. At those times when everything speeds up and you are running out of hands/feet eyes and other parts I would have given many things to have a competent pilot sitting next to me to share the load.

Now I fly SPIFR helicopters and mult-pilot aeroplanes around. Technology has moved on so far that the aeroplane would be quite simple to fly single pilot, until the systems start to fail. The helicopter has a full glass cockpit and an astonishing autopilot and makes mincemeat of serious IFR flying. but it is the equipment on board which allows that.

Beech now put a good glass cockpit on the KingAir which probably helps SP ops, but when I think back to the fit on the old Citation I wonder how I ever coped, especially when I was tired, not feeling at my best or in a hurry dealing with last minute changes. (and lets face it, if you can afford to tool around in your own jet you expect the world to change to your whims, not the other way around.)

Finally for Johns7022, I have flown a "zero/zero" approach in a 172. It was into London Heathrow on my nephew's FliteSim programme, just to prove to the little horror that a "real pilot" can do anything a play pilot can. Give me that 172 scenario for real and I will be first in the airport coffee shop.

FF