PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 06:00
Lotpax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Referring to an earlier discussion about non-union members, according to the other thread 1,100 non-union members have accepted the latest offer from BA on an individual basis.
Interesting if you add the above to the votes cast in the recent BASSA ballot, seems to add up to about 6,250, from a population of about 11,500 cabin crew.

At the moment (playing devil's advocate and using data from post #665), I make that approximately 3,449 to 2,786 in favour of rejecting the proposal, with about 5,250 unknown opinions (one cannot assume abstentions, as one does not know their reasons for not voting/accepting.) In other words only about 54% have made their views known, hardly a huge majority - what does the mute minority (46%) think/want?

Others on here may not like my thinking (and that is their perrogative), but bearing in mind the 'milk' incident (which was disgraceful) and other anecdotes of strikers isolating non strikers, I do have to wonder about the common sense of allowing a dispute like this to fester on.

Everyday, the discontent (in all camps) grows a little more bitter and the task of pulling everyione together a little harder.

From a business case perspective, it is clear that BA senior management believes it has won the dispute, but anyone who has gone through a major change program will reflect that delivery of such benefits only truly happens when the workforce pulls together and makes it so.

In other words, to deliver the cost savings, you have to attract customers to use your product and this can be directly impacted by the performance experienced from the workforce, by the customers. If your service is highly inconsistent, in a service oriented business, this is very damaging to revenues.

At the moment, what I perceive is a change program where the technical part has been delivered, but there is a blind spot to the needs of a sizable number of the stakeholders.

Given the strength of the emotions expressed by BA employees on both sides of the camp, I do wonder how long (if ever) it will be until these people are truly able to pull together and take the company forward.

Of course, I am on the outside and would be the first to accept that my perception is not as clear as those who are involved, but I wonder how this new world will rebuild BA's reputation, which let's just accept is not at it's peak following the industrial action over the past eight to nine months.

Tell me, if a company loses £1Billion due to 'IA' do you think that the company are then better able to afford to pay an increase in wages and benefits?
This is a very good point. Industrial action is very costly and in non one's interests, a negotiated settlement is nearly always better.

The BA proposal terms after IA were worse than before, I believe that demonstrates the point Paxboy is making.

Last edited by Lotpax; 13th Aug 2010 at 06:32.