PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping the wings level in a stall
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 02:17
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Though I don't disagree with the references to flaperon behavior, I can't think of a certified aircraft which empolys them. I flew the first CH701 many years ago, and experienced what has ben described. It was not good! I ran out of aileron control with flaps extended, and had to supplement with rudder (beyond co-ordinated flight) for standard manuevering. I did not have the opportunity to fly later versions, which I trust were improved!

Getting back to the use of aileron to pick up a wing at the point of a stall... I agree that a deflected aileron does have the affect of changing the local chord line, so as to "increase" the local angle of attack very slightly. However, does not deflected aileron also deepen the camber of the wing locally and thus increase the lift which that portion of the wing will produce, and its resistance to stalling? Would this not offset the affect of the increased angle of the chord line? I do agree that this would vary by aircraft type.

All that said, I continue to read posts, and hear about using rudder in isolation to control roll during a stall, but I do not read about it in any authoritative document. I do read about "normal" use of the control through the stall (which I tak eto contradict the rudder only technique). Why the discrepancy in information? Usually our industry is all about consistancy and traceability (of information, in this case). It seems not so much in this case...