PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 01:26
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
ManaAdaSystem

BTW, who did not cross check the FMC route on your ex SIN flight?
FMC ? wot's that ? We didn't have such a gadget, just basic INS linked to PMS ( old hat now so don't bother to trouble yourself on Google) waypoints all loaded manually, SID cancelled "go direct to " they said as we lifted off - not an expected waypoint, so told trainee F/O to re-programme and insert, this he did ( incorrectly ) then screwed the heading bug to 310, night, black, me in a left turn, flight director commanding a right turn, so I ignored him, disconnected everything and used COMMON SENSE and EXPERIENCE ( sorry if that offends you ) and turned towards Jakarta, which, surprisingly, I remembered was on the way to Australia whereas a heading taking me towards Madras ( or whatever it's called now ) definitely wasn't.

When we reached top of climb, and had a coffee, I suggested that I wasn't cross with him for screwing up the INS / PMS, a new toy to him, but that as a pilot flying to Australia - he wanted to fly NorthWest ? ( maybe you need to look at your Atlas again ? )

I'm sorry for repeating what I have posted before, but as a trainee navigator, with a sextant, on a Stratocruiser, ( use Google, a Boeing-377 ) my instructor told me to stop trying to do a maths exam in a rattling steel cabinet and pretend that I was sat on the tail steering the beast over the map.

Commensense -not computers.

Now tell me about age.

QED.

Ex - I repeat Ex-Sp33db1rd