PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 00:14
lambourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we had five years ripped away overnight
Ripped away? That is absolutely absurd. You were hired on with a retirement date at age 60. The rules were changed to give you a land grab, period. To show the honor among thieves, not one of the gummers I fly with give a rip about the guys that retired and were still under 65. You guys were not ringing the bell to get your fellow gummers back on the property. Nope you realized it would impact YOUR lifestyle if they came back. You guys were not willing to accept a 5 year career timeout like the rest of us. Nope, you all wanted it ALL.

How does me not engaging the Captain in small talk and offering him a cup of tea make me unsafe? I am offer these things to my friends. When my FOM spells out my requirement to cater to the needs of the elderly I will do it as required. In the meantime I think the flights I am on are probably safer than others. There are no distractions since I have nothing to discuss with the nursing home crowd. No chance of us being engaged in a conversation and being distracted....

We are down to about 2 years left. I am not convinced that they won't raise the age to 70. Perhaps they will move the over 65 guys back to the right seat but that is probably too much to ask for. The failure of ALPA to represent the interest of the majority on this issue has left a serious black eye for the associtaion. The rest of the pilots will not sit quietly as this one gets rammed down our throats.

I would certainly hope you threw me off the trip Cappy. With my company's policy I would get paid to stay home while you drag your carcass across 13 time zones. You get to do the dance on the carpet because the FO wouldn't bring you a coffee or newspaper. Please show us in the FOM what page that is on Captain....Now who looks like the child? I comply with the requirements set forth in my policy manual and flight handbook. You would sound even more like a delusional old man that demands respect. Something that he doesn't know how to earn.

Your move.......