PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 23:47
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Sbas
So as the world moves on and focus shifts to BAA staff, and many more things generally, some CC are still left with no ST and worse terms than when all this started. Crap eh.
If you read the excellent posts by west lakes, I think you will see what has happened in the last 30 years. I was working in IT during the last recession (89/92) and guess what? Pay rates dropped suddenly and took more than five years to recover properly and some took ten years.

I am not unsympathetic to people who have to accept reduced pay and Ts&Cs, as I have had that (AND redundancy AND unfair dismissal) in my 30 years of working life. The point here is that the CC (and the BAA folks) do not seem to understand that, just because their line of work has had close to 50 years of expansion with only small setbacks, that it is still going to continue. They have a JOB and since we are in the worst financial crisis since 1929 - that is worth a heck of a lot.

There is no public support for any of this and they could all (BA + BAA) have negotiated their way to a new contract and STILL have had a job.

Tell me, if a company loses £1Billion due to 'IA' do you think that the company are then better able to afford to pay an increase in wages and benefits?