PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence: PA28 vs Pipersport
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 22:04
SpreadEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello reimomo. I was undoubtedly the demo pilot who took you for that trip and so would like to begin by offering my sympathies. It is certainly not my intention to make anyone feel queasy.

I usually ask people what they would like to do with the aircraft, and try to base the flight around that. If someone wants a cruiser I'll spent more time looking at the autopilot, gps and cruise characteristics. Should they want a short field performer to get out of a strip I'll spend more time on stall characteristics, landings and takeoffs. I went to an RAF club last week and turned a few of their members upside down. I hope they enjoyed it, I was asked to repeat manoeuvres by several members.

As a sales team, we have no intention of hiding things from anyone and like to be honest about the aircraft. I'd rather someone tried the Pipersport, decided it was not for them and chose something else, than was duped into purchasing one and spent the next few years complaining what a horrid aircraft it was. That's no good for anyone.

Its a 600kg aircraft. It will be bumped about more than a PA-28. It is also far more agile. It rolls faster, pitches quicker and will even yaw more swiftly. This agility comes at a price. It won't be as stable as a PA-28. To be honest not many aircraft are as stable as the PA-28 (I certainly can't name any LSAs that are). But they are also not as sluggish.

My advice would be to try some of the others on a windy day.
When flying the Pipersport don't fight it. If it bumbs, let it bump. It has great dihedral and will come back swiftly by itself. Don't chase it. You will never keep up. That's how PIOs happen. The other common problem I have with our demonstrator, is that it is very often the first time a pilot has been exposed to a glass cockpit. It is very absorbing, giving you masses of information and of course for someone's first flight, they spend much of the time searching for it. If you decide a retest is warranted, fly as you were taught. Look out of the window and set the attitude. I see people chasing the digital numbers intently to the knot or foot and these are so accurate they bounce all over the place and the pilot follows. With eyes inside and lots of small sharp corrections most people will be ill. One of the Pipersport's best assets is the view it gives from the undistorted bubble canopy, so enjoy it and look out.
Its a VFR aircraft and people buy them so they can tour and see sites, hop between short airfields or like me, to grab it by the scruff of the neck and chuck it about the sky. Decide what you would like an aircraft for, and then pick the one that fits that best. As Ben says, no aircraft is perfect. Its about finding the closest match. If something ticks 8 out of your 10 boxes, that's going to be a serious contender. I hope you find what you are looking for ... I hope even more, that its a Pipersport!

I'll finish by listing our competitors, so you can have a look at those and also how many have been bought of each in the UK, listed on G-info.

PiperSport/ Sportcruiser ... 90

Remos GX ... 5
Aquila A210 ... 7
AT3 ... 13
DA-20 ... 10
AT4 ... 0
Technam P2002 ... 19
Skycatcher 162 ... 0

It vastly outsells everything in its class. If someone really wants a light 2 seater, the PiperSport is usually the one they choose.