PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 17:05
lambourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These guys have caused great harm to many. Respect is earned, not a right of passage. These over 60 pilots have in no way earned respect. For the most part they like to think they are experts on everything from flying to painting a fence (even if they have never held a paintbrush). Longevity does not make you any more brilliant. Your ability to continue learning and staying abreast of the industry improves your knowledge. Not sitting in the left seat and taking the middle break.

Recently we were told to follow a certain species of Airbus. There were several varieties and the gummer in the left seat hadn't a clue which was which, even though they were all different. Of course on the crew bus ride to the airport he spoke as an expert on all things with wings, wheels, spinners, mast and powered or not. Yet, when his superior knowledge was needed he drew a blank stare. Followed by the "well they all look the same, how am I to know!". Nice job skipper. You really EARNED that extra 5 years !

These pilots have set an example of selfishness and everyman for themselves. By not offering to enjoin them in any niceities I am just living by the example they set.

If someone comes into your home and robs your family do you help them carry the loot to the getaway car? Hardly, that is the reason I dont support the thieves of age 65.

If you are still flying past 60, you are not liked by your co-workers. You are tolerated at best. These are the cold hard facts. If you don't want to accept such, then it is your prerogative, reality is elusive to the over 60 pilots. Just don't be surprised when no one signs your retirement photo in operations. There will be no "good luck" and " we will miss you". More of a "finally!" than anything else.

Last edited by lambourne; 12th Aug 2010 at 17:19.