PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 14:55
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robsack15

Welcome to PPRuNe Robsack. There are bound to be many threads (not only this military aircrew forum) to which your contibutions will be most welcome.

I'm not your vintage (my time in the RAF was '79-89) but my father went through 6 EFTS at Sywell in 1941, (the CFI was a Wg Cdr Mackenzie) and then was posted to 21 EFTS at Booker as the first step to becoming a QFI.

He then went to Canada to 39 SFTS at Swift Current in 1942 on Harvards, then did the CFS course at Trenton and then instructed at 37 SFTS Calgary on Harvards to December 1942. Which SFTS did you go through?

In 1943 he converted to Hudsons at Debert before being posted to Ringway as a staff pilot in 1944 and after the HCU at Tilstock finished up in 1945 flying Stirlings doing SOE drops, glider towing and finally after the war ended, repatriation flights of former POW's.

I am trying to get my father to recount some of his experiences and will post them here when I can piece them together in a sort of chronological order....Your own contributions would be most welcome!

MB