PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should the RAF be scrapped? (merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 13:37
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading many posts on this thread, I am losing touch of why a lot of posters think the RAF should not be scrapped.

My own view is that it is essential, as there will never be enough RAF assets to do all the tasks asked of it by the army and RN, so its independence stops assets being sent to groups with the highest ranking officers from the other two services.

On the other hand, and coming from a green background, I am tending to think that in order to justify itself, some light blue posters seem to want to 'put down' the ability of the other services, which really is of no help.

I can understand why some posters joined the RAF, and what may have appealed about its lifestyle to them. A post above refers to not liking the idea of being shouted at and blind obedience. I have to say that bears no resemblance to the modern British army I know (after recruit training), and possibly shows no understanding of the army in reality.

Another favourite I often hear is the the army could not fly the Chinook as they would simply treat them as trucks!
Now, with my limited knowledge, a Chinook is a transport helicopter, and its job is to move material and personnel.
A truck does that too, that is true, but do most RAF types really think army lads/girls just jump into any old truck and just drive it anywhere, regardless of danger? Or, do you really know the truck will have been serviced, and checked before the journey. the route will have been planned and agreed. Any timings, speed and fuel needs will have been worked out. The safest route and time of route will have been chosen to avoid losses, or enemy contact.
I also get the feeling that many (but certainly not a majority) of light blue types will just say the army don't understand how to fly and operate helicopters........Does that apply to the various armies that operated types like the Chinook for many years in peace and combat, long before the RAF received them?

At the end of the day, all three services are very different in tradition and lifestyle. From the little I have seen, the RAF actually treat there members very poorly at times, and can have much less camaraderie than the other two services (due to your way of working and lack of ability to keep personnel together).

IMHO the RAF are very good at what they do, and that is what they should concentrate on. It serves no positive purpose to be boasting that the army would not be able to do the same job (as this already happens in other countries), and do not understand RAF ways.
Army folks on the ground in a hot spot already know the FJ pilot above them knows bugger all about ground tactics , and would most likely be more of as danger than a help if he were on the ground with them, BUT that does not matter! If they call for help, the FJ pilot will come to help them, and use HIS/HER skills in the way they request. He/she may well save their life on the day, even though he/she could not hep on the ground.........Some folks call this teamwork!

For a long time defence cuts have shifted mind-sets as to who the enemy actually are. They are the ones 'on the other side' not hard working folks in light or dark blue or green!

*If anyone chooses to add career politicians to the 'not always on our side' list, I may agree with you