PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping the wings level in a stall
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 09:17
M14_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A&C, I dissagree there. Rudder IS used to pick up a wing, during the falling leaf manoeuvre, this is how you keep the wings level during a stalled condition, with constant rudder input (you need to be quick with your feet), you can keep the wings level and keep aircraft stalled, as it descends, it looks quite spectacular from the ground.

The Extra's spin entry is like any other aerobatic machine, I did some time in the 300L and found it is no different to any other in the entry. All spin entries are similar, however spin recovery, is a very different thing. When teaching inverted spinning in the Pitts I break it right down. Getting the student confident with recovering hands on, then at the very end, when they are proficient with the hands on methods in various attitudes with varying amounts of power and aileron, I show them the Beggs/Mueller method during a full accelerated and flat inverted spin from 7500ft. They are always suprised at how effective this method really is.

Anyway, regarding this "keeping wings level while fully stalled" topic, as stated above, I believe what you are effectively doing, is creating a falling leaf, which you control with rudder, and rudder only. The aircraft slews from left to right when viewed from the ground but in flight it just feels as if it is tipping from left to right (in the tiger anyway).

Interesting stuff.

Last edited by M14_P; 12th Aug 2010 at 09:37.