PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leopard Moth and Miles Falcon going to dust at Lilydale?
Old 12th Aug 2010, 09:13
StallsandSpins

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange..............its the second time these aircraft have come up pprune.

they are privately owned aircraft that are currently hangered in a privately owned hangar. i can point vintage aircraft enthusiasts to aircraft of similar rarity that are stored in private hangars around the country.

They have not been flown for several years as there is some concern about their airworthiness as they are wooden construction
are you an engineer? have you inspected them recently have you?

Unnoticed by external inspection, severe damage occurs and it would take an expensive inspection to reveal the extent of delamination of components etc
which components would these be exactly?

It will be a great pity if these rare historical old aeroplanes just crumble behind hangar doors at Lilydale and that very few people know about them or see them.
lots of people know about and have seen these aircraft over the years. they are not crumbling behind closed doors. what about the three other vintage aircraft they share the hangar with, you seem to have no such concern for them.

The RAAF Point Cook museum won't touch them because they have no military history.
The falcon was impressed into service by the RAAF during the war. it even had a RAAF serial no ( i cant remember it off the top of my head)

Does anyone know if there been any attempt by their owner to sell them to an enthusiast
im sure there are lots of enthusiasts who would love to own them. yourself perhaps?.....

Ring the Challinor Brothers at Murwillumbah. They will either know someone or be interested themselves.
the owner of these aircraft has been good friends with challinor brothers for many years.

Michael Hatfield Stalls