PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA Cessna 180's in PNG
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 06:45
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and I think for a bit less than some of the figures quoted
I think you might be shocked by the final number.

The bits you'd need to buy are the cheap part.

New engine/prop/engine control/flight control cables/pullies/ALL new wiring/new instruments/new radios/all new hoses/windows/tyres/wheels/brakes. $100-130k easy.

New interior $8k.

Sheet alluminium to reskin large areas, maybe all, of the fuselage and wings - not sure - maybe 15k?

Paint job - $15-20k.

We're over 170k and haven't spent a cent on labour nor actually bought the aeroplane - and believe me labour is the REALLY big part of restoring an aeroplane. $90-100/hr shop rate for a LAME near any decent size city and 1000-1500hrs of labour could slide into that airframe very easily if there is significant lap joint corrosion. And there WILL be corrosion - MFX has been sitting in an open hangar several nm downwind from Bootless Bay for a decade with 20kt Tradewinds blowing salty air at it for 6 months in 12.

I am really surprised MFX is still in POM - I thought it had been moved south some years ago.

What is happening at Bensbach these days? Old Brian Bromley was a good mate and he was having dramas with the locals when I used to frequent the place in the early/mid 90s.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 12th Aug 2010 at 07:02.